Thursday, December 22, 2011

Winter Solstice HA HA - Jail


Today is the Winter Solstice - shortest day of the year, darkest day of the year.
I was totally excited when we were invited to bring Laughter Yoga to the jail today. We met an OMazing coordinator called Barbara who works hard to bring all sorts of yummy modalities and educational opportunities to the men who are incarcerated in this minimum security jail.

Today we had the opportunity to laugh with approximately 60 inmates. We spoke to them of the benefits of laughter as we shook ourselves - SHAKTI SHAKE - we did waves of OMazing affirmations and laughroared like lions We shook our enerchi some more and dropped it into the Earth and stomped it out. We gibberished and made our immune systems stronger. We even danced the Hokey Pokey and shook it all about.

When I first got there, I was a little scared. This experience was totally out of my comfort zone. I was inside a building with twelve doors bolted and locked between me and the outside world. I also made assumptions about the men based on what they looked like. Some of the inmates were seriously scary looking dudes - with tear tattooes and all.

And yet, as we laughed together and created heat, I looked each and every one of them in the eyes. I laughed at myself - with them - and we had a moment together.

We talked about chaHAhanging the only thing we have control over - ourselves and our attitudes.

It was quite an OMazing experience - holding sacred space for laughter - for these men. It was nice to change the enerchi in such a space and create waves of joy and peace.

We were invited back to play.
Woohoo

No comments:

Post a Comment